Reaching Your Elected Representatives

Each level of government has some responsibilities for health care. The federal government sets broad policy and funding requirements, the provincial and territorial governments plan and deliver services, and municipalities have a strong hand in many programmes. When you advocate, it’s worth considering representatives at all levels. Let members of governing parties and also members of opposition parties know what is important to you.


Photo by Tetyana Kovyrina on
Photo by Tetyana Kovyrina on

Canada’s federal government sets broad policies and funds provincial governments for some services. Communicating with the federal government shows you believe an issue deserves national attention. You can find your Member of Parliament (MP) at

You can send a letter, postage free, to any Member of Parliament by addressing it to: House of Commons, Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0A6

You may wish to contact one or more ministers with questions or concerns. You can reach some key federal ministers at:

Prime MinisterWebsite:
Contact form:
Communication Address: Office of the Prime Minister, 80 Wellington St., Ottawa ON, K1A 0A2
Fax: 613-941-6900
Minister of HealthMinister’s Office email:
General email:
Communication Address: Health Canada, Address Locator 0900C2, Ottawa ON, K1A 0K9
Tel: 613-957-2991 / 1-866-225-0709 (toll free)
Fax: 613-941-5366
Minister of SeniorsDepartment: Employment and Social Development Canada
General inquiries:
Communications Address: House of Commons*, Ottawa ON, K1A 0A6
Tel: 613-992-0778
Fax: 613-992-0800

Top of Page


Photo by AI_HikesAZ on Flickr

Provinces and territories have the greatest responsibility for most health policies. Communicating directly with officials in Ontario’s government brings your concerns to their attention.

To find your Member of Provincial Parliament (MPP), along with their contact information, visit Legislative Assembly of Ontario, Current MPPs.

You can reach some key provincial ministers at:
Minister of
Ministry of Health, College Park 5th Floor, 777 Bay St., Toronto, ON M7A 2J3
Tel (general inquiry): 416-327-4300
Fax: 416-322-1571
Minister of Long-Term
Ministry of Long-Term Care, 400 University Ave. 6th Floor,
Toronto, ON M7A 1N3
Phone: 416-327-4282/Toll Free: 1-888-876-7685/TTY: 1-800-387-5559
Minster for Seniors &
Ministry for Seniors and Accessibility, College Park, 777 Bay St., 5th Floor, Toronto, ON M7A 1S5
Tel: 1-888-910-1999 (Seniors Inforatmion Line); 416-849-8276 (Accessibility Information Line)

Most people think first about communicating with ministers and other government MPPs. However, opposition leaders and members of opposition parties can also help. Ask them to talk with their colleagues in the House about your concerns. Check the provincial party websites for contact inforrmation:

Green Party 
Liberal Party
New Democratic Party 
Progressive Conservative Party

Top of page


Photo by Tara Winstead on

Municipalities control or strongly influence many of the services that support older adults, including:

  • Public and community health, healthy ageing, and wellbeing
  • Emergency health services (for example, ambulance services)
  • Affordable housing and safe and healthy neighbourhoods
  • Community support services, such as meals (Meals on Wheels™, wheels-to-meals, communal meals), sheltered or assisted housing, adult day services, homemaking, and home maintenance
  • Transportation and mobility, including public transit, road design, and cross-walks and sidewalks (all safety concerns), as well as walkability of neighbourhoods and access to public spaces and facilities
  • Recreation and leisure, including local libraries, community recreation centres and parks, and programmes for active living and staying connected
  • Settlement services (for recent newcomers)
  • Public information and education about, for example, access to local services, safety, ageism, and elder abuse

Funding for some of these services – for example, public health, housing, and transportation – comes from both provincial and municipal governments. In addition, some municipalities fund some services solely from their own resources, but only if the councillors view them as local priorities. We have to let politicians know what those priorities are. Here are some places to start.

10 largest Ontario citiesFind your local councillor and ward
St. Catharines
Greater Sudbury
Thunder Bay

Top of page